Cornish Christmas Recipes
We're proud of our Cornish roots and we love giving festive recipes a Cornish twist! Here are the Schoose team's favourites...
Mince Pie & Apple Pasties
- 150g plain flour
- 75g unsalted butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Jar of mincemeat
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored & chopped
- Put flour and butter in a bowl and rub together until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in icing sugar, pinch of salt and the egg yolk until the pastry forms a ball. If it feels a little dry add a tablespoon of cold water at a time until it comes together.
- Wrap in clingfilm and rest in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Divide the dough into even sized balls and roll each one out to form a circle.
- Spoon generous dollops of mincemeat on one half of each disc, top with chopped apple and fold the pastry over, joining the edges with crimping or a fork.
- Bake at 160° for 20-30 mins until golden brown.
- Served topped with Cornish clotted cream of course!
Hot Spiced Cider
- 1 litre of Cornish cider
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 orange, zest cut into strips
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 allspice berries
- Splash of brandy or rum
- Heat all ingredients except the rum/brandy in a pan gently for around 15mins. Do not boil or you'll lose the alcohol!
- Strain the warm cider into glasses and add a dash or brandy or rum.
Clotted Cream Fudge
- 275g caster sugar
- 100g golden syrup
- 227g tub of Rodda's clotted cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease and line a 20cm tin
- Put all the ingredients in a pan and stir over a gentle heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil, and stir until the temperature reaches 118°.
- Remove from heat and beat until the mixture becomes thick, matt and grainy.
- Pour into tin and cool until set. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Top tip: Cosy up on the sofa with a few of these treats and pop on your favourite festive movie! Keep your toes cosy with our range of slippers.